Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Why limit yourself?

My question today comes from Andrew 2:34, "Why, fellow chariot huggers, doth thou limit thyself one conceptual reality matrix as opposed to many? Art thou nothing but an ass baying loudly amongst the might roar of Satan's flatulence?"

As deep as these words appear to be, the underlying message is simply one of helpless confusion. Why do we approach life with a single cause celeb, why not embrace all of life in it's mad chaos as simply the "way things are"? What are we so afraid of? Especially, as I mentioned in an earlier post, as we all share the same fate.

This doesn't give us cause or license for madness and anarchy, no, I think even the opposite. Looking around the world, we see that we, as clever monkeys, are indeed imprinted with strong impressions to caretake, to be stewards, to design and build. Why is this so? Is it because we, unlike most animals, are beholden to a prehensile thumb and upright posture? Is it because we can push the branches out of the way with our miraculous hands and gaze out over the savannah for pleasure and hunt? Is it merely an extension of our hunting/gathering brain, a brain that sees a pattern and decides to attempt to replicate the natural world, to garden and grow structures.

To return to the path of singular delusion, we must increase our openess as a flower opens to all insects, we must evolve past mammalian and enter floral brain, or we will destroy ourselves and everything around us. I don't know why we seem to be so hellbent on self-destruction, but I must say it must have to do with the dominant male-centric religious, scientific, and political structures that would like to retain power over all beings as opposed to sharing the world and it's energies with all beings. Perhaps my gripe with the major organized religions and whatnot is more to do with their insistence that someone has to be in charge, usually male, usually violent. This is the meme we want to spread forevermore? I think not.

So to open ones mind and believe in many things at once, contradiction and confusions, nothing creating stress or tension. As it says in the book of John:

Imagine there's no Heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one

1 comment:

gianna said...

hey, andrew!
i am not angry with you and i don't think it's bad to question things. i just think that there is a way to question things without looking down on someone. i am totally being held accountable to my actions because i do that. so i am trying to humble myself and avoid it.

Permaculture News